HomeNewsLatest NewsSantaco Says Cape Town Taxis Not Going Back To Work Without Court Interdict 

Santaco Says Cape Town Taxis Not Going Back To Work Without Court Interdict 

“The poor are suffering the most due to this strike and each day that it drags on is a major setback to them. The impact has been devastating on them and our economy.”

Santaco Says Cape Town Taxis Not Going Back To Work Without Court Interdict - SurgeZirc SA
Santaco Says Cape Town Taxis Not Going Back To Work Without Court Interdict.

According to the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) in the Western Cape, taxi operators in Cape Town have made it clear that they will not return to work unless an interdict against car impoundment is issued.

It was reported on Thursday morning that vehicles were encouraged to proceed with caution since high-risk zones, especially Dunoon and Langa, had been flagged for public notice.

- Advertisement -

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: KZN Community Warned Of Bogus Cops

This follows a two-hour road closure caused by debris strewn over the route at Jakes Gerwel earlier in the morning.

Western Cape Santaco first deputy chair Nceba Enge told reporters that members of Santaco have indicated that they need to secure the interdict first before returning to business.

“We have consulted our members and the mandate that we have is that we need to get that interdict before we go on the roads.

“Remember what was announced by JP Smith, that for every truck that has been burnt, he will be there to collect (impound) 25 vans (taxis). We, therefore, do not want to expose our members to such activity,” said Enge.

“We were ready to go back to work as early as last week already, but due to their non-commitment we could not. This time we cannot afford to expose our members to that.”

- Advertisement -

Enge stated on Monday morning that the application for an interdict against taxi impoundment had not been submitted. “We think that by today it will be submitted, if not, it would be submitted very early tomorrow (Friday) morning,” he said.

Western Cape Premier Alan Winde, on the other hand, has expressed “deep disappointment” in the news that the minibus taxi strike led by Santaco in the Western Cape will continue on Thursday.

“The poor are suffering the most due to this strike and each day that it drags on is a major setback to them. The impact has been devastating on them and our economy,” he lamented.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Alleged Parliament Arsonist Zandile Mafe Unfit To Stand Trial

Winde emphasized the importance of allowing residents to roam freely across the province, saying, “It is crucial that residents are able to access critical services, such as healthcare, schooling, and social development.

“The violence that has accompanied the strike and severe disruptions to daily life are an affront to the dignity and rights of our residents.”

- Advertisement -
Elize Coetzee for SurgeZirc SA
Elize Coetzee for SurgeZirc SAhttps://new.surgezirc.co.za
Elize Coetzee, a seasoned journalist, is the driving force behind SurgeZirc SA’s world news and world politics coverage. With an unwavering commitment to truth, Elize delves into global affairs, providing live updates, in-depth investigations, and thought-provoking analysis. Whether it’s geopolitical tensions, international diplomacy, or breaking stories, Elize’s incisive reporting keeps readers informed and engaged.
RELATED ARTICLES
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
- Advertisment -

Just Dropped

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x