fbpx
HomePoliticsDAThe DA Wants To Know Answers Why Cooked Food Banned

The DA Wants To Know Answers Why Cooked Food Banned

It said several essential service workers relied on cooked meals as they go about their duties during the day.

 

SurgeZirc SA
Department of Trade and Industry /Photo file:Screengrabs

The DA wants know answers why Trade and Industry Minister Ebrahim Patel banned cooked food which essential service workers rely on.

- Advertisement -

The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma gazetted changes to the disaster management act which governs the lockdown regulations.

READ MORE:Prisoners Threaten Hunger Strike If Their Complaints Aren’t Heard

The move by the government comes after there were complaints about the continued sale of cooked food by operating supermarket retailers.

- Advertisement -

The amendments also follow a string of other amendments announced last week which deal with transportation, funerals and port operations.

The country’s lockdown is expected to end on April 30, DA has been outspoken in its pushback against what it described as a hard lockdown.

The DA wants to know answers and they had presented scenarios which it said would help ease pressure on the economy while also restricting movement and tackling the Covid-19 coronavirus.

- Advertisement -

On Monday, reaction to the gazetted amendments, the party said it would seek answers as to why cooked food was being prohibited.

“It said several essential service workers relied on cooked meals as they go about their duties during the day,” said DA.

They said will also be particularly devastating for the elderly who may be unable to cook food due to their frailty.

“I will now write to Patel through our lawyers requesting the reasons for this ban on cooked and prepared food which should be provided to us by midday on Tuesday, 20 April 2020. We will then be able to decide on our next course of action,” DA MP Dean Macpherson said.

The party also insists that the gazetted regulations were done after it threatened to take legal action against the government as Patel had previously claimed the sale of cooked food was banned, while the regulations did not state so.

READ MORE:Lockdown Has Revealed A True Reflection of Poverty In This Country

The DA was set to approach the North Gauteng High Court and lodge urgent papers to have Patel’s comments declared unlawful as well as seek a personal costs order against him.

“Today’s amendment now makes what was illegal, legal and is short sighted and mean spirited, especially for frontline health care workers, members of the security services, essential service workers and transport workers like truck drivers who rely on cooked food due to the work they are doing,” Macpherson said.

- Advertisement -
SourceSurge It
Florence Sibiya for SurgeZirc SA
Florence Sibiya for SurgeZirc SA
Florence Sibiya is a highly dedicated and talented reporter for SurgeZirc SA Business News. With her passion for business and her commitment to delivering accurate and reliable news, she has become an invaluable asset to the team.
RELATED ARTICLES
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
- Advertisment -

Just Dropped

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x