fbpx
HomeNewsLatest NewsOver 120 School Children Hospitalised With Suspected Food Poisoning

Over 120 School Children Hospitalised With Suspected Food Poisoning

The Eastern Cape Health Department has confirmed about 120 school children were admitted to a hospital on Thursday after they complained of food-poisoning symptoms. Spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said the pupils, aged 8 to 19, experienced stomach ache, vomiting, and itchiness. Fifty of them are in a stable condition at Frontier Hospital in Komani.

“The last one arrived just after six in the evening in a condition presenting with vomiting. She had to be admitted to the ICU. By midnight she was reportedly responding to treatment. She is in a stable condition,” Kupelo said.

- Advertisement -

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Ex-Policewoman Sentenced To Five Years For Murder Of E-Hailing Driver

Kupelo said the children were eating different food items when they started feeling unwell. “The children were reportedly served various food items, including fizzy drinks and snacks. They call it amashwam-sham and muffins. Children from another school have also complained about being sick.

“We’ve dispatched emergency vehicles again this morning to another school where children [have] reportedly falling sick. Three of them have already been sent to the hospital. The details around the latest incident are still sketchy.

- Advertisement -

“We’re still trying to get the numbers and the symptoms they may be presenting with,” Kupelo said.

He said health and environmental officers were “taking samples for further testing”, while the hospital had also taken samples for toxicity tests.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Mall Robbed By Armed Group In “Full Police Uniform And A Vehicle With Flashing Blue Lights”

- Advertisement -

Last week, tragedy struck Onkgopotse Tiro Primary School after a Grade 3 boy died from alleged food poisoning. The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) confirmed the pupil died at the Tshepisong Clinic.

It comes amid increasing incidents of food poisoning among school children, and a focus on expired foods and snacks at spaza shops. According to the department, two Grade 3 boys from the school complained of stomach cramps in class and were rushed to the clinic. The pupils had allegedly bought and consumed a pack of biscuits from a local spaza shop in the area, according to information at the department’s disposal.

- Advertisement -
Keitumetse Modise for SurgeZirc SA
Keitumetse Modise for SurgeZirc SA
Keitumetse Modise is a passionate and dedicated local news writer who brings the latest news and updates from your community straight to your doorstep. With years of experience in journalism, Keitumetse has established herself as a reliable source of information, covering a wide range of topics that matter to you.
RELATED ARTICLES
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
- Advertisment -

Just Dropped

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x