A tragic incident unfolded in Doornkop, Soweto, as a fire engulfed a home, resulting in the loss of two young lives on Thursday morning.
The victims, a five-year-old boy and an 18-month-old baby, were sleeping on a mattress when an unattended candle caused it to catch fire.
Emergency spokesperson Nana Hadebe-Kgiba, who swiftly responded to the scene, reported that the family and members of the community had managed to put out the fire in the bedroom before the firefighters arrived.
Sadly, the two children could not be saved and their bodies were discovered amidst the aftermath.
Preliminary investigations conducted by authorities indicate that the fire was caused by an open flame.
Hadebe-Kgiba expressed her regret that many similar incidents occur due to unsafe use of heating appliances and neglectful handling of open flames.
In light of this heartbreaking incident, Hadebe-Kgiba urged communities to take necessary precautions when using heating appliances and emphasized the importance of never leaving candles unattended.
It is essential to prioritize safety and avoid actions that may lead to such tragic consequences.