At least 90 pupils from Pulamadibogo Primary School in Soshanguve, Pretoria were rushed to the hospital after consuming what appeared to be innocent muffins. Little did they know that these seemingly harmless treats were laced with dagga, a potent form of marijuana.
The students, ranging from Grade R to Grade 7, began experiencing distressing symptoms such as nausea, stomach cramps, and even vomiting. It was the vigilance of their teachers that prompted them to contact emergency services upon witnessing strange behaviour from the affected learners.
According to the spokesperson for the Gauteng Department of Education, Steve Mabona, the unsuspecting pupils had purchased the muffins from a street vendor while en route to school. The consequences of their innocent purchase became evident as their health rapidly deteriorated.
All 90 affected learners received immediate attention from emergency services on the school premises. However, due to the severity of their condition, they were subsequently transferred to various medical facilities for further monitoring and treatment.
As news of the incident spread, distressed parents flocked to the school, seeking reassurance about the safety and well-being of their children. The Gauteng Police were quick to respond, visiting the school to address the concerns and investigate the street vendor responsible for this distressing incident.
“The learners consumed what looked like muffins, suspected to be laced with dagga (space cookies), which they bought from a street vendor on their way to school.
“All 90 affected learners were attended to by emergency services on the school premises. However, they were all subsequently rushed to different medical facilities where their condition would be monitored.
“Police visited the school as this incident caused distress among parents, who also came as they were concerned about the safety of their children,” Mabona added.
The police have since managed to identify the street vendor.