After being bitten by a venomous cobra while on the toilet at a safari park, a man was left with a rotting penis.
During a trip to a nature reserve in South Africa, the 47-year-old from the Netherlands went to relieve himself when he felt a scorching feeling on his manhood. The man realised he had been bitten by a very deadly snouted cobra as he looked down. The snake was hidden inside the bowl of a toilet at an unnamed nature reserve.
After being bitten, the man – who, predictably, has not been identified – had to wait three hours for a helicopter to take him to the nearest hospital, which was over 350 kilometres away.
During the gruelling wait to get to hospital, the man experienced a burning sensation in his genitals, as well as a pain that shot all the way up to his upper chest and abdomen. He also vomited but no neurological symptoms were reported, the report states while claiming it is the first case of a (Naja annulifera) cobra biting someone’s genitals.
Upon being admitted to hospital, his penis and scrotum “were noted to be swollen, deep purple in colour and painful”.
“Scrotal necrosis was diagnosed, and he received multiple doses of a non-specific snake venom antiserum and broad-spectrum antibiotics,” according to the medical report.
“The scrotal necrosis was reported to involve the entire fascia (skin to internal spermatic) and was excised with extensive margins. Primary closure was performed, leaving a drain in situ,” Urology Case Reports said.
Due to acute kidney injury, the man required hemodialysis before being repatriated to the Netherlands. He returned home and underwent reconstructive surgery, specifically penile shaft debridement.
“After a further 6 days, a full-thickness graft was harvested from the groin and placed over the penile defect,” the report continued.