Former President Jacob Zuma has purportedly lost his most recent court bid and will presently need to pay more than R16 million went through more than 14 years on prosecution.
The Business Day has detailed that the High Court in Pretoria a week ago expelled Zuma’s request for leave to claim against a finding that he couldn’t utilize State assets to pay for his barrier costs.
Zuma was trying to avoid a trial on corruption charges which first surfaced in 2009.
The previous president’s attorney and the National Prosecuting Authority have not yet been accessible for input on Thursday morning.
‘I’M NOT SCARED OF DEMOCRACY’
Zuma told his supporters he was not frightened of vote based system, including he would fight it when it attacked him.
“There is no one who scares me. I wasn’t scared of the Afrikaners when they attacked me. So, I won’t be scared of democracy. When it attacks me, I will face it head-on,” he said.
The previous president made the remarks outside the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in May where he had been battling for his case to be expelled.
He told the court he was a victim of a political conspiracy and that he didn’t have money to finance a corruption trial.
He dealt with indictments of corruption, fraud, racketeering and money laundering related to the controversial multibillion-rand arms deal.
This was not the first run through the previous president talked about popular government in under sparkling terms.
While talking in Parliament in 2017, he raised numerous eyebrows when he stated: “It’s a funny democracy that says punish a person before they make a mistake.”
Zuma said he didn’t realize he would battle battling for opportunity just to keep battling even after the fall of politically-sanctioned racial segregation (Apartheid).