In a shocking turn of events, the Gauteng Provincial Government has confirmed that after a thorough examination, Gosiame Sithole, who according to an exclusive article by Pretoria News gave birth to decuplets was never pregnant to begin with.
The Gauteng government in a statement released on Wednesday afternoon. The findings, it said, came after Sithole was taken in for observation at Tembisa Hospital.
Spokesperson Thabo Masebe said an investigation was done after an initial report in the Pretoria News, which claimed that the babies had been born in a Pretoria hospital.
Independent Media, which publishes the Pretoria News, had stood by its story, and accused government officials of a “cover up” when they questioned the veracity of the report. Pretoria News editor Piet Rampedi, who wrote the story, has since apologised to colleagues for it.
As a result of the findings regarding her not being pregnant nor giving birth, the provincial government said it had “instructed the state attorney to institute legal action against Mr Rampedi and the Independent Group”.
Masebe said on Wednesday that social development department social workers had reached out to Sithole as they were concerned about her state of heath. They had arranged for her to be admitted at the Tembisa Hospital for observation on June 18.
MEDIA STATEMENT || STATEMENT OF THE GAUTENG PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT ON THE SO-CALLED “DECUPLETS” pic.twitter.com/9bJq50v6LG
— Gauteng Health (@GautengHealth) June 23, 2021