Gauteng police said they were investigating whether a gathering at the home of struggle stalwart and Rivonia trialist Andrew Mlangeni infringed lockdown laws.
Police Service confirmed that a case had been opened into whether the gathering outside Mlangeni’s Soweto home on Tuesday had breached the Disaster Management Act.
“Which prohibits large public gatherings and limits to 50 the number of people allowed at funerals.”
The police spokesperson Brig Vish Naidoo said the investigation came after the police were told of complaints about Tuesday’s gathering, in which Mlangeni’s body was brought back home ahead of his funeral on Wednesday.
The gathering included ANC officials, SA National Defence Force officials and neighbours of the struggle veteran.
The crowd at Mlangeni’s funeral has far exceeded 50 people.
“It has come to the attention of the joint operational and intelligence structure that numerous people have been making calls.
“Also various media platforms, that mourners who visited the house of the late struggle stalwart, Mr Andrew Mlangeni yesterday, be arrested,” said Naidoo.
The regulations in terms of the Disaster Management Act makes provision for the dispersing of crowds who gather illegally.
Empowers police to hold accountable a person or persons who convenes or organises illegal gatherings.
“Therefore with regards to this matter in question, a case of contravention of the Disaster Management Act will be opened for investigation.
“On completion of the police investigation the docket will be submitted to the directorate for public prosecution for a decision.”