Found in furniture and hardware, the synthetic concoctions can arrive at newborn children through breast milk or even in the belly.
British MPs cautioned that the potential effect on wellbeing was alarming. They said breast milk in Britain had the world’s second most abnormal amounts of fire retardants, which can cause disease and disturb hormones.
The board heard three months of proof from specialists and got 64 composed entries for an investigation into synthetic concoctions in regular use.
Its director, Labor MP Mary Creagh, stated: “Individuals especially babies are taking in these poisonous synthetic substances consistently in their own homes where they hope to have a sense of security.
“It’s a frightening situation when there is growing evidence about the risks some flame retardants pose to human health. Most people assume that they aren’t at risk from toxic chemicals but the reality is different. Mums in the UK have some of the world’s highest concentrations of flame retardants in their breast milk, some of which have now been banned.
“Chemical flame retardants are still being widely used in our furnishings from children’s mattresses to sofas.”