Bill Cosby documented a formal appeal to his rape conviction on Tuesday, contending that he had been inappropriately convicted a year ago when the judge directing at his preliminary permitted into proof the declaration of five ladies who, similar to the person in question, said Mr. Cosby had medicated and explicitly attacked them.
“This evidence was used to strip Cosby of his presumption of innocence and to try to establish that Cosby had the propensity to sexually assault women,” his lawyers wrote in the appeal filed in Pennsylvania Superior Court. “This evidence never should have been admitted at trial.”
The extensive intrigue incorporated a few different grievances about the activities of the judge, Steven T. O’Neill, that the defense team had just demonstrated would be grounds for a challenge. Mr. Cosby, 81, was discovered liable in 2018 in Montgomery County Court of tranquilizing and explicitly striking Andrea Constand at his home outside Philadelphia in 2004. He is currently serving a three to 10-year sentence in a Pennsylvania jail.
In the documenting, Mr. Cosby’s legal advisors, Kristen L. Weisenberger, Brian W. Perry, and Sarah Kelly-Kilgore said the judge had wrongly ignored the testimony of a former district attorney who said he had promised never to prosecute Mr. Cosby. The team likewise scrutinized the judge’s choice to permit into proof an affidavit Mr. Cosby made in a claim brought by Ms. Constand recognizing he had acquired quaaludes to be utilized to debilitate ladies so he could have intercourse with them, a statement that prosecutors portrayed as evidence of his willingness to do the same to Ms. Constand.
Story Update: The Latest With Bill Cosby And Support From Celebrities Spike Lee & Quincy Jones – YouTube https://t.co/jSSxICXoau
— Kia Soto (@kia_soto) June 25, 2019